Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Soil Chart

Soil Chart by Stacey Greenberg
Photo by Maggie Louie


We’ve been camping, we’ve been canoeing, we’ve been to the beach, we’ve been busy! When I said I was going semi-annual, I didn’t think I’d be scrambling to get out a second issue in December! I’m going to blame the giant lag time on moving. But even though I haven’t gotten a zine out since February, it doesn’t mean I haven’t been writing. When I’m not blogging, I’m usually working on a story for the Memphis Flyer, Memphis Parent, Health & Fitness, or Edible Memphis. I’m a regular household name around here! Ha! I even tried my hand at fiction for the annual Memphis Magazine Fiction Contest as you’ll see in the Ruts into Furrows section. (I’m afraid I’m the only one who’s ever going to publish my fiction.)

On the home front we’ve been busy decorating and fixing things up to be nice and cozy. Even though we bought a house that didn’t need any work, we’ve had no trouble coming up with projects, both inside and out. The outside is going to break us I’m afraid. We have two giant gum trees that seem to dump something every season—pollen, gumballs, leaves, seeds, etc. If anyone knows a fun craft or recycling project involving gumballs please let me know!

The monkeys are just as crazy as ever. Just after the last zine went out, Jiro broke his leg jumping off of a fence. Like mother, like son, I suppose. Satchel has thankfully remained intact. Speaking of staying in one piece, I made my return to the roller derby track December 1st—something I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to do. After almost a year of coaching and practicing, I finally got my nerve up. Now, I’m excited to get back in the action!

With so much going on, it seems something’s gotta give. Sadly, I think it is this zine. Only time will tell. (A zine-making friend of mine once went five years without putting out an issue.) I do plan on doing a “Best of” issue that will be super fat. It will be mailed free to subscribers and should make up for the cost of the outstanding issues left on the subscription. Also you can request back issues to make up for any outstanding issues on your subscription. Just shoot me an email stacey@fertilegroundzine.com.

Thank you for all of your support these last 5 years. It has really meant a lot to me! And remember, even though Fertile Ground may not show up in your mailbox, it is still online: www.fertilegroundzine.blogspot.com.

No comments: